One of the many tools at disposal and a reference to the company name (Better Code) is The Joel Test. I keep it here to remind myself of the simple prerequisites of successful software development!
The Joel Test
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
I keep this list here to always keep it in mind! For the full article, see The Joel Test